It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

OldFatGuy: nm, found it. So if I put that in right it's roughly $1,200.00.

Seems to me you should be able to do a little better than 1060 for that price but I might be wrong. Gonna look at prices at US Amazon to see.

Nope. Damn I would've thought you most certainly could at least do better than 8GB of RAM but all of those with 16GB or RAM that I looked at for about the same price lowered the SSD size to 128 or the GPU to the 1050ti.

Guess I forgot about the price surge recently due to the miners. Must be affecting laptops too. Damned miners.

ADDED: Oh wait.... the one in your link only has a 128GB SSD. I thought it had a 256??? Did you change it?
Nope, its amazon though, so you can select various diffrerent types there. 128gb is workable, I generally only have Win (40gb), and a game or two installed, with some others on the hdd (installers).
HereForTheBeer: My personal feeling is that if you do go for a 1070 instead of a 1060, then you should consider a larger (unfortunately heavier) chassis that has better built-in cooling. These things are much better cooling-wise than they used to be, but still. My big-chassis 17" 1070-powered unit runs cool and quiet, but it's also sized like an 18" and weighs 10 pounds (~4.5kg) including the brick. A 15.6" unit probably saves 1-2 kg.

If you go the cooling pad route, then add the size and weight of that extra hardware to your overall rig specs when trying to find the right size laptop for you. For instance, if you plan to game on the road like I do, then you're possibly going to need to tote the cooling pad with you and will need to take it into consideration when figuring out your traveling load.
Yes, that is why I most likely would look at the 1060 with a 15" screen rather than bigger variety. Yes, there are a few options at that price point. That one doesn't have the second hdd, is .5kg heavier and doesn't have the G-sync though.
Post edited February 26, 2018 by nightcraw1er.488
HereForTheBeer: My personal feeling is that if you do go for a 1070 instead of a 1060, then you should consider a larger (unfortunately heavier) chassis that has better built-in cooling. These things are much better cooling-wise than they used to be, but still. My big-chassis 17" 1070-powered unit runs cool and quiet, but it's also sized like an 18" and weighs 10 pounds (~4.5kg) including the brick. A 15.6" unit probably saves 1-2 kg.

If you go the cooling pad route, then add the size and weight of that extra hardware to your overall rig specs when trying to find the right size laptop for you. For instance, if you plan to game on the road like I do, then you're possibly going to need to tote the cooling pad with you and will need to take it into consideration when figuring out your traveling load.
nightcraw1er.488: Yes, that is why I most likely would look at the 1060 with a 15" screen rather than bigger variety.
And you save a fair chunk of money in the process.

Just curious: how much mobile gaming do you do?

One nice thing these days is that hooking up to an external monitor is so easy. Ditto regular mice and keyboards. At that point, you're essentially buying desktop performance that you can also take with you. The performance parity is as close as it has ever been, so it's no longer a huge compromise to get a laptop instead of a desktop. Good times for the mobile gamer.
HereForTheBeer: One nice thing these days is that hooking up to an external monitor is so easy. Ditto regular mice and keyboards. At that point, you're essentially buying desktop performance that you can also take with you. The performance parity is as close as it has ever been, so it's no longer a huge compromise to get a laptop instead of a desktop. Good times for the mobile gamer.
That's what I did.
nightcraw1er.488: Yes, that is why I most likely would look at the 1060 with a 15" screen rather than bigger variety.
HereForTheBeer: And you save a fair chunk of money in the process.

Just curious: how much mobile gaming do you do?

One nice thing these days is that hooking up to an external monitor is so easy. Ditto regular mice and keyboards. At that point, you're essentially buying desktop performance that you can also take with you. The performance parity is as close as it has ever been, so it's no longer a huge compromise to get a laptop instead of a desktop. Good times for the mobile gamer.
Well, the missus is off to work in another country, so I will be back and forth and staying there for a bit. So I am after something for the train, and whilst I am staying there. Hence why weight is a factor.
Was looking at the gpd win as that looks quite cool, but as anything more than a handheld, not sure it would hold up. Last time I looked at gaming laptops some years back they were 10-15kg and battery life was around 5seconds, so it was when mechmouse made his post about getting this one that I thought a gaming laptop maybe effective.
If you'll use your laptop only on flat, solid surfaces, then Deepcool E-Golf Notebook Stand is a good alternative to not carrying a regular notebook stand with you.
mechmouse: I'll tell you in a couple of days. Just bought the exact same model for my wife.
nightcraw1er.488: Yes, would be good to hear your experiences, thanks.
Just been playing Dying Light on it.
Max setting -DoF and Motion Blur

30 fps... thats a bit shit

Oh I'm running on battery, plug in and

70-90 fps

Keyboard is near unreadable in dim light with out backlight on. This may be an issue when Wife gets to use it. SHe hates my glowing keyboard.
nightcraw1er.488: Yes, would be good to hear your experiences, thanks.
mechmouse: Just been playing Dying Light on it.
Max setting -DoF and Motion Blur

30 fps... thats a bit shit

Oh I'm running on battery, plug in and

70-90 fps

Keyboard is near unreadable in dim light with out backlight on. This may be an issue when Wife gets to use it. SHe hates my glowing keyboard.
Thanks for the information, yes I had seen other comments that FPS was way down when not plugged in.
Whats the weight like on it, 2.2kg seems light but would you like carrying it for a few hours?
Also heat, is it noticeably hot under duress, say if you had it on your lap over a few hours on a train?

What is it with women and glowing keyboards, I have had a couple now and the little lady is very unimpressed as well. Its cool, glowy and changes color!
Just ran 3d mark.

Time spy gets 3548 ... 23 and 20 fps for the two tests

My Ryzen 1700 with GTX1070 gets
39 and 34 fps for the two tests.

The Fan gets a little noisy, but not unexpectedly so.

Heat is warm. If your running it on your lap, best use a tray.
mechmouse: Just ran 3d mark.

Time spy gets 3548 ... 23 and 20 fps for the two tests

My Ryzen 1700 with GTX1070 gets
39 and 34 fps for the two tests.

The Fan gets a little noisy, but not unexpectedly so.

Heat is warm. If your running it on your lap, best use a tray.
Thanks mate, good to know. The predator given above also looks quite nice, better processor, no second hdd, more memory. Argh, too much choice :o)
nightcraw1er.488: So, following on from another thread, I have changed my mind on portable device from a GPDWIN2, to a gaming laptop. The one that I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL502VS-FY385T-15-6-inch-Gaming-Titanium/dp/B073WZGH69/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519642468&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ASUS%2B15%22%2BROG%2BSTRIX%2BGL502VM%2BFull%2BHD%2BGTX%2B1060%2BG-SYNC&th=1

For me, I don't generally do last release games, although Witcher 3 era is not out of the question. Obviously not going to full settings out of it, but it should run it at reasonable settings?
I've also considered getting this in the past, but I've read a lot of things about it being built at the very edge of its power capacity and a bit beyond on full load - so much so that some users were complaining it drained the battery WHILE PLUGGED IN during intensive gaming sessions.

Seems ASUS alleviated the issue with a BIOS update, but in essence this is a power design problem, not something you can fix with tweaking or better said noting you can fix without throttling down on what it delivers in terms of performance.

In the end I went with the cheaper and bit saner (in terms of power design) GL553VD. Initially I was a bit put back by the fact that it "only" has a 1050Ti, but hey with careful tuning I can play the Witcher 3 on mostly High (some things on Ultra, others on Medium) at 1080p without it dipping too frequently under 60fps. So I'm a happy camper, pretty content with the "bang for the buck" factor of my choice.
Post edited March 01, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
i can vouch for the capabilities of Asus ROG laptops as powerful gaming machines too
And that is indeed what I ended up going for. Mainly as I have a Predator monitor and really like that. Have had it a day or so now,, it boots to windows almost immediately!! Haven't tried any games on it as yet. Did get a pad with fans in to rest it on to help with cooling. Nice tactile keyboard. Got to say for a laptop real impressed so far. Lets hope it burns some polys in gaming.
greeklover:
nightcraw1er.488: And that is indeed what I ended up going for...
Enjoy your new system then!
And your games of course! :-)