It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For the past week, I reverted back to my former self and neglected to pick up my book. Tonight, I was determined to resume my reading challenge and I fell asleep while holding my book after 20 minutes of reading. xD What I was reading was really interesting!
I think I was simply too tired to concentrate. :P
Post edited February 20, 2024 by matterbandit
"The God Engines", by John Scalzi.

Wow, what a massive disappointment.

Not only did this come with a totally unsatisfying and non-explanatory end.
There also was a glaring omission throughout the whole text (besides some missing articles ("the", "a", "an", etc)), which irked me to no end.

Now - the missing articles might be due to erroneous editing for the ebook version - I won't pin that on the author.
But the mentioned (and lasting) omission..?

You know, how in astronomy, some planets, etc. have only been discovered, because something was NOT visible?
It jumped to the eyes of the examining astronomers - exactly BECAUSE something wasn't there, where something should have been.
And that's exactly, how that one character stands out to the reader.

See: all the characters in the story have a their gender revealed to the reader.
All but one.
And that makes no sense.

The (let's say) profession (or rank) of that character, would easily support both genders.
Or even a non-binary/gender-fluid character.

But in any of these cases, some form of specified pronoun (he/her/they/his/hers/theirs) is expected to be used, when talking about that character, respectively about the things that character does, respectively about the rooms that character inhabits (e.g.: HE said, SHE reached across the table, THEIR bedroom was average sized, etc).

However: the author didn't do that.
There are zero pronouns used - only the name of that character. Always the name only (plus sometimes the added rank).
But that goes only for this one, particular character.

And because that omission is so glaring in the context of the rest of the book, you constantly expect some kind of important reveal, some relevance to the (supposedly non-binbary/gender-fluid?) character...and in some sense, that relevance is there...it just is in no way gender-related.

So why have that glaring omission in the first place?
What's the point of it?

To make that clear: I would not have had any problems with any gender, that could have been assigned to that character. Male, female, anything in-between - I could have lived with it.

And I could have somewhat accepted the way the (expected) reveal was delayed (though again: the omission was so glaring - there would have been no surprise involved, anymore) - if that reveal would then have had something to do with the story, and how the story ended.

But it didn't.
Not that there was a reveal.
Nor would any reveal in that regard (had it been there), have had anything to do with how the story ends.

As it stands, the omission of that characters gender was nothing but a constant nuisance for the reader, who was expecting something more coming from that angle.

The book is from 2009.
Now, I didn't follow the "public appearances" of (possible) non-binary/gender-fluid characters in literature, and when exactly they did get "acceptable" in books, targeted at "the mainstream".

And maybe - in 2009 - such a character (and/or the possible same-sex relationship, that would have come with it) would still have been "too daring" for a young author's work resume (his first Sci-Fi works seem to be from 2005),...but then why go this "mysterious" route at all?

Why not simply make that character a female and be done with it?
Would have fit perfectly to the character and its arc in the story.
Nothing in the story would need to be adapted, to make it all work (apart from using a few extra pronouns).

I just don't get it.

Like I said in my first sentence:
a massive disappointment - even more so, since the general topic of the story sounded interesting.

But then nothing got made with it.

Can't recommend.

Edit: wrong bracket
Post edited February 26, 2024 by BreOl72
BreOl72: "The God Engines", by John Scalzi.

Wow, what a massive disappointment.

Not only did this come with a totally unsatisfying and non-explanatory end.
There also was a glaring omission throughout the whole text (besides some missing articles ("the", "a", "an", etc)), which irked me to no end.

Now - the missing articles might be due to erroneous editing for the ebook version - I won't pin that on the author.
But the mentioned (and lasting) omission..?

You know, how in astronomy, some planets, etc. have only been discovered, because something was NOT visible?
It jumped to the eyes of the examining astronomers - exactly BECAUSE something wasn't there, where something should have been.
And that's exactly, how that one character stands out to the reader.

See: all the characters in the story have a their gender revealed to the reader.
All but one.
And that makes no sense.

The (let's say) profession (or rank) of that character, would easily support both genders.
Or even a non-binary/gender-fluid character.

But in any of these cases, some form of specified pronoun (he/her/they/his/hers/theirs) is expected to be used, when talking about that character, respectively about the things that character does, respectively about the rooms that character inhabits (e.g.: HE said, SHE reached across the table, THEIR bedroom was average sized, etc).

However: the author didn't do that.
There are zero pronouns used - only the name of that character. Always the name only (plus sometimes the added rank).
But that goes only for this one, particular character.

And because that omission is so glaring in the context of the rest of the book, you constantly expect some kind of important reveal, some relevance to the (supposedly non-binbary/gender-fluid?) character...and in some sense, that relevance is there...it just is in no way gender-related.

So why have that glaring omission in the first place?
What's the point of it?

To make that clear: I would not have had any problems with any gender, that could have been assigned to that character. Male, female, anything in-between - I could have lived with it.

And I could have somewhat accepted the way the (expected) reveal was delayed (though again: the omission was so glaring - there would have been no surprise involved, anymore) - if that reveal would then have had something to do with the story, and how the story ended.

But it didn't.
Not that there was a reveal.
Nor would any reveal in that regard (had it been there), have had anything to do with how the story ends.

As it stands, the omission of that characters gender was nothing but a constant nuisance for the reader, who was expecting something more coming from that angle.

The book is from 2009.
Now, I didn't follow the "public appearances" of (possible) non-binary/gender-fluid characters in literature, and when exactly they did get "acceptable" in books, targeted at "the mainstream".

And maybe - in 2009 - such a character (and/or the possible same-sex relationship, that would have come with it) would still have been "too daring" for a young author's work resume (his first Sci-Fi works seem to be from 2005),...but then why go this "mysterious" route at all?

Why not simply make that character a female and be done with it?
Would have fit perfectly to the character and its arc in the story.
Nothing in the story would need to be adapted, to make it all work (apart from using a few extra pronouns).

I just don't get it.

Like I said in my first sentence:
a massive disappointment - even more so, since the general topic of the story sounded interesting.

But then nothing got made with it.

Can't recommend.

Edit: wrong bracket
A few years ago I read the Brazilian edition of Lock in by the same author, and found it pretty good.

A bit later, reading about the book, I read that Scalzi had ommited the gender of the main character so that any reader could decide for his own. I... didn't even notice that while I was reading, and felt too lazy to go over the pages of the digital book trying to check on my own (and maybe the Brazilian translation had changed that? I still don't know :P ), but ultimately I found it to be an interesting choice by the author.

I also don't remember what gender I assumed, it's been a few years already, but I recall thinking that any adaption would make the character female, probably.

All that said, I think he was probably doing the same with the character you mention in the book you read. But I haven't read it, so I could be wrong.

Again, sometimes authors ommit or delay information about characters so that readers may identify better with them. Ursula K LeGuin hid that Ged, the main character, was black until fairly late into the book A Wizard of Earthsea, so that readers wouldn't make assumptions about him before knowing him (that adaptions of the books to other media always made Ged white, irked her imensely).
*ahem* Include me :)
Include Goodreads
Include The StoryGraph

1. Feb 21-Mar 2: The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them | 2/5 (SG | GR | blog)
2. Mar 25-Apr 7: The Bands of Mourning | 3/5 (SG | GR | blog)

2023 list
2022 list
2021 list
2020 list
2019 list
2018 list
2017 list
2016 list
2010-2015 list

To go further back, check my read shelf on Goodreads (doesn't seem to allow resorting if not logged on though? and defaults to sorting by date added instead of date read, which is a mess). List is also less complete the farther back you go.
Post edited April 08, 2024 by Cavalary
The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them

At least I just borrowed this from the Library, but I still feel cheated, expecting an actual book and getting a collection of essays already published over a span of several years, which isn’t mentioned anywhere on the cover, so you need to get quite a number of pages into the introduction to find out. And those essays are completely unchanged, resulting in content that’s more outdated and far shallower than you’d expect the book to be, plus that plenty of ideas are simply repeated time and time again. Admittedly, this also makes the book particularly easy to read.
The only sections that are written specifically for this book are the introductions for each part, and while they mostly just provide a little context for the essays, some are more notable and interesting, such as the one for part one and the parts about trade agreements and intellectual property from the one for part six. And it was pleasing to see trade agreements and intellectual property being approached in such a critical manner in itself. And I must definitely say the same about describing how capitalism currently works as privatizing the profits while socializing or nationalizing the losses, externalizing the costs, and freeloading on public services and infrastructure and state-supported research. And I could keep nodding along to plenty of other ideas.
The fact that the vast majority of the book is focused on the United States did make me feel rather disconnected, and the essays that are strictly about the 2008 crisis were even worse from that point of view. But, besides that, the problem is that the author remains such a staunch supporter of capitalism, just aiming to limit its worst excesses, when the system itself is the problem and it needs to be replaced with something different. In addition, he continues to push for growth and full employment, states that the major problem is the lack of demand, disagrees with prioritizing fighting inflation and supports the concept of people, businesses and states continuing to live on credit in itself, all of which I firmly oppose.

Rating: 2/5
The Rifle, by Andrew Biggio - an absolute must-read for anyone interested in WW2. Every chapter is a different story of heroism, or something touching.
Next up: Malice, by Gwynne
Cavalary: The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them

[...] And it was pleasing to see trade agreements and intellectual property being approached in such a critical manner in itself. And I must definitely say the same about describing how capitalism currently works as privatizing the profits while socializing or nationalizing the losses, externalizing the costs, and freeloading on public services and infrastructure and state-supported research. And I could keep nodding along to plenty of other ideas.
The fact that the vast majority of the book is focused on the United States did make me feel rather disconnected, and the essays that are strictly about the 2008 crisis were even worse from that point of view. But, besides that, the problem is that the author remains such a staunch supporter of capitalism, just aiming to limit its worst excesses, when the system itself is the problem and it needs to be replaced with something different. In addition, he continues to push for growth and full employment, states that the major problem is the lack of demand, disagrees with prioritizing fighting inflation and supports the concept of people, businesses and states continuing to live on credit in itself, all of which I firmly oppose.

Rating: 2/5
Thanks for this. I share some of your reservations and interest in these topics, would you say that his earlier book The Price of Inequality might be worth reading, or do you maybe have recommendations for other authors offering a critical/insightful view of these issues?
chevkoch: would you say that his earlier book The Price of Inequality might be worth reading, or do you maybe have recommendations for other authors offering a critical/insightful view of these issues?
Well, it's better than this one, and an actual book for one. But I mostly had the same complaints regarding the issues we disagree on, unsurprisingly.
About other authors, I read Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century, but had a so and so impression, and same for Bregman's Utopia for Realists. Can recommend them for those with far less radical views than mine, who seek reform (albeit rather radical in a few ways) but would largely still maintain the existing systems in themselves.

Have a list of books on this topic that I was interested in, but at this point doubt I'll really try to get any of them. Still, here it is:
Michael J. Sandel - The Tyranny of Merit: What's Become of the Common Good?
Nick Srnicek - Inventing the Future: Postcapitalism and a World Without Work
Tim Jackson - Prosperity Without Growth
Tim Jackson - Post Growth - Life After Capitalism
Jason Hickel - The Divide: A Brief Guide to Global Inequality and its Solutions
Jason Hickel - Less Is More: How Degrowth Will Save the World
Liam Byrne - The Inequality of Wealth: Why it Matters and How to Fix it
Post edited March 05, 2024 by Cavalary
Cavalary:
Thanks so much, gives me some further material to look at.
The Ginger Star, by Leigh Brackett. Brackett's return in the 70s to writing stories about Eric John Stark, her main character from her old Planet Stories days. Stark is a sort of Tarzan of the future, raised as a wild man on Mercury, where the proximity of the Sun turned his skin black. This book doesn't retcon the old stories - he's still from Mercury - but updates the setting for then-modern readers by establishing that a Galactic Union has formed and is colonizing worlds beyond the solar system. One of the more remote is Skaith, a dying planet with three suns. Much like Mars in the original stories, Skaith once had an advanced civilization but it's now in an irreversible, post-apocalyptic decline and the residents (who mostly seem basically human) have turned into a mixture of primitive tribes and mutants overseen by a religious order that uses superstition to keep everyone in line. Stark comes to Skaith because his mentor from his Mercury days, the guy who basically civilized him, disappeared after landing on Skaith, so Stark is simply there to find out what happened and he ends up having to travel from the space port into the northern mountains where the world's rulers have their citadel. There's a handy map included to keep track of where he is in the story.

Compared to the original pulp stories, this is slower paced. It's not a long book, but it feels longer in some ways because there's a lot of walking and exposition as Stark has to learn about the planet. Periodically, a little bit of action will happen, but then it's back to walking and talking. A lot of what's going on in the story is showing how a planet like Skaith might react to aliens landing and informing everyone that they're now part of their empire and offering opportunities to just take off and leave. A lot of the residents, especially the ones who aren't in the vicinity of the city/space port simply don't believe it or they're happy to dismiss it because the lives they have are what they know and are comfortable doing. The ruling priesthood of course are furious and are trying to somehow undermine the newcomers and reassert their authority, which also means impeding Stark's mission, especially since Stark (the "Dark Man") seems to line up with apocalyptic prophesies they have.

It's a good book that definitely leads into its sequels, although I would say it's best to read the original stories first, and then move on to this later trilogy if you're wanting more of the character, rather than starting here.
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman

This excellent book explores answers to the question of what would happen to life and the environment (both natural and man-made) on our planet if humans would suddenly disappear.

There is a wide variety of angles presented to that end, places all over the globe visited in the process: prehistoric earth, urban and industrial infrastructure (and how quickly some of it will collapse if no-one is there to provide constant upkeep), changes that took place following disaster events of the past, projected life cycles and impact of introduced toxins, bioengineering, plastics, nature's adaptive strategies, to just name a few. All presented in an eloquent, pleasant nat-geo documentary narrative flow.

Uniquely, even the chunky acknowledgment section is a worthwhile read; not just listing a bunch of names, but also connecting these somewhat elaborately to material found in respective chapters.

I initially got interested in this book after seeing it mentioned as an inspiration for The Last of Us.
Post edited March 15, 2024 by chevkoch
Been putting off my reading too often lately. I decided to haul my ass and my book to a nearby cafe. I normally do not like reading in public, due to the many distractions and the loud conversations. But, I was procrastinating at home, so I needed to take drastic measures to break my rut! Thanks to my trusty old earbuds and soft ambient music, I managed to focus on my reading at the cafe and I read more pages than I thought I would, so I am very proud of myself. :)

In keeping with my silly tradition, here's a couple of words I learned during my last reading session:

"There is a canard about neutered and spayed cats, as there is about neutered or spayed dogs. And this is that they will, after the operation, invariably and almost immediately gain weight."

"I was reaching my peroration now, and I began to raise my voice."

"...and in no uncertain terms I made my feelings clear to the young whippersnapper."
The Valley Of Fear - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Invincible by Stanisław Lem

Again here, the way a book found me was learning about it via a computer game. A game I do not have enough of a powerful hardware for to play it, but the source material delivered much I was hoping for in a story hinted at by the screenshots that had initially intrigued me. In addition, having read The Invincible, I am even more looking forward to experiencing the recent game release, sometime in the future, once beyond-potato upgrade becomes possible for me. The slow arrival and heightened anticipation connected with this I do welcome; it partly helps to manage the desire to enjoy the game right away.

The Invincible structurally grounds itself in both hard sci-fi and philosphical, ethical ideas that do not overwhelm, but in their clarity and oscillational intensity (wild action, quiet reflection) varying from chapter to chapter drew me into the narrative and well-realized world with ease. A careful emphasis on plausibility. Leaders facing tough decisions in the face of a fascinating and dangerous mystery.

What I found particularly delightful is that Lem masterfully creates a story that does not follow what we do seem to see most often these days in any media: spectacle over substance. Once more, I am glad to have wandered off into a non-American/non-English-speaking realm. Most rewarding.

The MIT Press is the publisher for the at almost USD 19 a bit expensive paperback, but that might have to do with this being the first and only direct English translation. What's wonderful to have though is the glorious cover by Przemek Dębowski, which would make a great poster and I still keep looking at.
Finished "Designers & Dragons: the 70s" (by Shannon Appelcline) recently.

Pffft...a tough read.

Not so much because of the content - but because of how that content is presented.

You get "hit over the head" with names, titles, issue numbers and dates...all presented within the running text.

Now, non-fictional books can already be hard to read, simply because they're very seldom as "entertainingly" written as novels.

And of course: when I read a non-fictional book about the history of something, I expect some of the content to be more of the "dry" sort.

But a (well edited) non-fictional book can still be "easy" to read, when the "dryer" stuff is more or less set apart from the running text.

However, that's (unfortunately) not the case here.
Instead you get tons of paragraphs like this one:

"Different Worlds stayed with Chaosium for almost six years, until Different Worlds #38 (January/February 1985). Though Chaosium was increasingly a publisher of their own RPGs by the end of that period, they did a remarkable job of keeping the magazine independent and generalist. Issue #19 (February 1982) was the only exception, with its heavy focus on Chaosium’s brand-new Call of Cthulhu game. Though issue #22 (July 1982) was labeled a RuneQuest issue, it actually spent as much space on Traveller and Tunnels & Trolls. Issue #22 also saw a notable revamp in Different Worlds’ graphical design and content. Later issues tended to be thematic, starting with #23’s “Special Superhero Issue” (August 1982) and running through #36’s “Special Magic Issue” (September/October 1984)."

Mind you: the quote above is not amongst the worst examples.

Whenever you stumble over one of the rather rare paragraphs in the book, where the running text gets not "hacked into pieces" by names, titles, issue numbers and dates...you feel an almost religious gratitude, that makes you want to sink to your knees, to thank whatever lord may reside above, for this blessing and grace.

I just wish, the author would've separated stuff, that would look (and read) better as a list, from the actual running text.
That would make reading through the book so much easier.

And she did so in the beginning of the book...so, it would not have been impossible.
But for some reason, she stopped doing that, a few chapters into the book.

I have three more books of the same series (and written by the same author) left to read...and honestly - I'm not sure, whether I'll "force" myself to read them through, like I had to do with this one.